In constant pursuit of coffee and Christ

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Worthy of The Call

Today I grabbed what I refer to as my 'drama mug'


This mug was originally given to my sister, Jules, by a guy that was crushing on her in high school. How I attained it I'm not quite sure! She knows I have it and I have offered it back several times. Every time I drink from this mug I am reminded of how much I love my sister and how far our relationship has come. We were far from friends during my high school years. What we have now is a beautiful, loving, trusting, friendship that I would value and protect even if we did not share DNA. I love my sisters!

While flipping through the pages in Bears kids Bible I stopped on the story of John the Baptist, a passage I am more than familiar with and have even done studies and taught on several times. I'm not sure if it was the simplicity of wording, the fact I was reading aloud to my son, or my current heart and mindset, but this passage hit me in a new way.

100 Bible Stories 100 Bible Songs
 created by Stephen Elkins 

John did what Jesus asked of him, despite his feelings of inadequacy. In John 1:27 we hear John the Baptist say " He (Jesus) is the one who comes after me, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie".

What would have happened if John had looked at Jesus and said, 'I'm not worthy Lord, don't make me do this. I don't want to fail you. I'm not good enough. What if I drop you in the water and make a fool of myself? I won't be able to show my face out of shame. Pick someone else'.

John wasn't exactly new at baptizing. Matthew 3:5-6 tells us "People went out to him (John) from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan river". He was comfortable baptizing those he knew were not the Christ. He had developed a comfort zone, one that was demolished, or at very least expanded, when he did what Jesus asked of him.

How has the Holy Spirit been asking you to step up and out of your comfort zone? Will you be willing to place your fear and self doubt aside and trust in His calling? You can do it. Trust me, it's worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment