In constant pursuit of coffee and Christ

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Mopping the Kitchen Floor

This morning I chose Ben's blue mug. 





Ben shares in my affinity for coffee and their receptacles, so he is always on the look out for our next mug just as much as I am.

For the last several days I have been brought to the passage of scripture where Jesus is praying in the Garden of Gethsemane, just before his execution. Seriously, for at least four days, I have fallen asleep and been awakened with this passage on my heart. Until yesterday, I really wasn't sure why either.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe we're all guilty of not accomplishing something because we 'don't feel like it'. For me, this is almost always mopping the floors. I could vacuum all day, brooms are OK, but hand me a mop and all of a sudden I've lost all motivation. Why? Not a clue. I just really hate moping the floor. Maybe because having wet socks is such a pet peeve of mine. Whatever the reason, the fact remains, the floor must be mopped.

'Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation." He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.'  ~ Luke 22: 39-46

Jesus didn't feel like being crucified (who can blame him!), and earnestly sought out the face of God for another way for our sins to be forgiven. BUT! He submitted His will for the plan and purpose that God had set before Him, taking up the cross and dying so that our sins could be forgiven and our souls gain unending, undeniable, access to the throne of the Father. WOW!

Another passage that means so much more to me now is the passage that speaks of how we are to operate as a Christian household, specifically, Colossians 3:23 'Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not people', and in Ephesians 6:7 'Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people' and again in Colossians 3:17 ' And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.' 

Whatever we do, whether we feel like doing it or not, no matter how trivial and mundane the task, we are instructed to proceed as if Christ himself had asked us to accomplish it. Yes, even mopping the kitchen floor!

On that note, I have bathrooms that need a good cleaning so I'm going to dust my mop off and get busy! 








No comments:

Post a Comment