In constant pursuit of coffee and Christ

Monday, May 12, 2014

1st Mother's Day

Seeing as how this post is dedicated to the awesomeness of my first Mother's Day, this morning I am drinking from my new travel mug

I was on our worship team yesterday morning so I needed to be early for sound check. Ben and Barrett left before I did to "run some errands". When I pulled into the parking lot they were there waiting for me, holding my new, coffee filled, travel mug and a breakfast bar. "Happy Mother's Day, my love" Ben said as he handed me my treats, "we will see you in a couple hours". 

Steel, Teal, and Ceramic 






I have become a rather large fan of ceramic travel mugs. Not only are they excellent for keeping coffee warm, they don't affect the flavor, no matter how old they get. 









I knew Ben was up to something for Mother's Day, but I must admit, I was incredibly surprised and blessed by how special he made the day. 

Guys, it's noteworthy that he didn't break the bank to accomplish this. Sometimes the most simple of gestures can mean the most. 

"I'm giving you a full, uninterrupted, nights sleep" he told me Saturday night, "I will sleep upstairs with Barrett and Sydney and you can have our room all to yourself"

For the most part Barrett sleeps through the night, maybe waking because he needs a diaper change or because he spat his binky out of reach. I still wake however, even if just to look at the monitor and make sure he's breathing. 

*I may veer more towards the paranoid side of parenting 

Mother's Day Lunch 






After church ended we headed home. I was greeted by beautiful flowers, a card, and told lunch was being taken care of and that I was to nap. 









The gift of sleep is a beautiful thing. 

"You're going to want to change" Ben told me once I woke (I was still in my church outfit) "and wear your old tennis shoes" - "Where are we going?" I asked, getting excited that wearing old shoes meant we're going to be outside "We are going to go explore" he said, with a huge smile on his face. "Sydney is coming too"

Ben and I have been together for almost 13 years. We have always talked about going to Mohican State Park to spend a day hiking/biking. 

We pulled onto the grounds and found our parking spot. I was so excited! The park is beautifully maintained with free access. There are multiple different trails to choose from and Ben had researched the best one for families. The weather was perfect, sunny with a breeze. We could not have asked for a better day. 

Binky in the woods 


We walked, taking in the sounds, smells, and sights of grounds we'd never walked before. The trail was only a little over a mile so an hour and a half later we were back at the car. Ben had timed everything perfectly. Barrett fell asleep as we buckled him into his seat. 

Getting dirty 









We were hot, muddy, messes and I loved it. Even Barrett got some dirt on his shoes. 

Piggy's in the woods











Our jogging stroller was no match for the muddy, rut filled, trails and was quickly returned to the car. Barrett didn't mind though. 





The decision was made that we would stop and get some ice cream on the way home. "I know exactly where we are going" Ben said, as he took us to The Dairy. Back in high school we used to visit on a regular basis. I cannot remember the last time we were there. As he pulled in we noticed how incredibly crowded they were. Neither of us felt like waking our sleeping boy, or waiting in line, so we went on to plan b. "I hear good things about Whit's all the time" I said as we drove along "OK, we'll check them out" he said. 

Let me tell you, I am now a huge Whit's fan! Frozen custard. Oh. My. Gosh. 

cold coffee flavor, of course! 







We had each gotten their smallest size and neither of us could finish in one sitting (next time, which will be soon, we will split a small). 








Once we got home Ben helped me weed the flower beds, and plant my Mothers Day flowers from the church, while Barrett played in his pac-n-play and Sydney napped in the grass. We had just finished when we felt the first few raindrops. 

As the rain came pouring down Ben informed me that dinner was taken care of and I was not to touch any of the dirty dishes. "I'm handling it, you just sit and relax." 

So I did, and it was lovely. 

What a perfect day, full of flowers and memories. 

I should note, Ben does an excellent job of making me feel loved and appreciated every day. I have been blessed with a man who lives Ephesians 5:25

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her"





No comments:

Post a Comment