In constant pursuit of coffee and Christ

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Bacon Cheddar Broccoli Soup

I love winter. Beautiful ice and snow covered trees, everything looking clean and sparkling, snuggling under layers and layers of blankets, fuzzy socks, seeing your breath while walking through the pure white snow as it crunches under your feet... and soup.

The thing about soup, especially home made, is that you have to be in the right mood for it, or at least I do. The day was clear and crisp, just the right amount of chilly, so we loaded up and headed out to grab the few things missing from my refrigerator and pantry. 

Our local "weather guessers", as my husband so accurately refers to meteorologist, had been pushing the "major winter storm" that was supposed to hit us later that evening. The result? My favorite grocery store was a complete mad house. The only thing that sweetened the trip was the attention my Bear got while wearing his shades, even after we had entered the store I had people coming up to me asking "is this the little boy who was wearing sunglasses? He is so cute!" What should have been an 15 minute shopping trip took us almost 45 minutes, what resulted, however, was well worth the hassle.

Out with my little stud muffin
I hope you and your family enjoy this classic as much as my boys and I did. From the heart of my kitchen to yours.

Bacon Cheddar Broccoli Soup
Makes 8-10 servings

1 Stick unsalted butter
1 Yellow onion, diced/sliced 
(I diced mine so my toddler could better handle the pieces)
4 cloves of garlic, Mashed, not diced
(the cloves should be very loose so that they fall apart during the saute process)
4 Cups half and half
6 Cups chicken stock
1/2 Cup corn starch
1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
4 Bay leaves
3 Large carrots, diced/sliced
(again, I diced for my toddler)
2 Heads broccoli (about 8 cups), chopped 
16 Ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
1/2 Pound bacon
Salt and pepper to taste

In large soup pot, place butter, onion, and garlic, on low-medium heat. Stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent. 
Place bacon on cooking sheet, sprinkle with pepper (if desired), and place in cool oven.
Set oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cook until bacon is firm and crispy.
Once desired crispness is achieved, remove from tray onto paper towel to cool. 
Once onion is translucent, slowly stir in chicken stock and half and half, making sure not to allow a boil as this will cause your broth to break. 
Combine corn starch with just enough cool water until mixture is smooth. Add to broth. 
Add bay leaves and nutmeg
Allow broth to simmer gently for 10-15 minutes
Add broccoli and carrots, simmer until vegetables are tender
Break/crush bacon to desired size, add bacon and cheddar to soup, mix well.  
Remove bay leaves
Season to taste
Enjoy! 

I served this soup in an home made crispy bread bowl.



Cool man in his shades 




  


No comments:

Post a Comment